A frenectomy is simply the removal of a frenum in the mouth.
A frenum is a muscular attachment between two tissues. There are two
Above you can see a diagram of the mouth and the major
To improve your lip and/or tongue mobility as well as functionality, we at KIDS perform this procedure using laser*.
KIDS uses Soft Tissue Laser to treat lip and tongue ties. This is our preferred approach to treating lip and tongue ties.
A Soft Tissue Laser has the benefit of:
• Less invasive therapy, no cutting or sutures
• Virtually painless and less swelling
• Lasers remove any infection and bacteria like no other method can
• Faster healing due to laser bio-stimulation of the cells
• Faster recovery than the conventional method
As we use Soft Tissue Laser (which allows for releasing tongue ties and lip ties with minimal bleeding) stitches are not required, therefore a general anaesthetic for you is not needed. A small amount of local anaesthetic may be used.
When a laser is used to release a tongue tie, it allows for a more considered approach to tongue-tie release, not just a quick snip of scissors and a hope the job is done! This is because of the preciseness of the laser that is designed to focus on the area of treatment. A laser allows your lip and tongue ties to be released at the same time.
Visit us at KIDS, where our caring and experienced staff will assess you if you're having problems latching during breastfeeding.
* Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
KIDS – Healthy Kids Nurtured by Nature
p:(07) 4942 5111
a: 6 Discovery Lane, Mackay QLD 4740
Monday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Tuesday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Wednesday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Friday 8:30am to 4pm
Saturday 8:30am to 2pm
Lip and Tongue Tie Forms: